Monday, July 5, 2010

Thoughts during Canada Day.

I woke up this morning with Canadian blood flowing through my veins, and a clay coffee cup in my hand. I took a deep breath. I knew it was going to be a busy day in the gardens with all the Canada Day festivities.

When I arrived at work I felt a bit chaotic due to the hustle and bustle of events to set up for. I felt the timeline reeling in closer without my control. I had completely forgotten why I was doing what I was doing. Then someone stopped me while I was in the gardens and said "you look very patriotic today". I glanced down at myself. I was holding a handful of homemade Canadian flags.

I smiled and continued the day remembering how grateful I am to be Canadian. I watched a toddler make his very own Canadian flag using leaves and paint. The maple leaf looked a little wayward, and more paint ended up on my hands than the paper, but he had the biggest smile on his face. He was so proud of what he had made, and he did it himself, in his own way.

Throughout the day I started to think about Canada. We like to believe that our country is multi-cultural; a mosaic of religions, races, and culture. We are a patchwork quilt. For this, I am thankful. We get to grow up in a country that allows us to be individuals - which lends itself to being a part of the bigger picture. Take a glance at this beautiful garden, and you see how colorful and vibrant it is. Look closer and see how unique each flower or tree really is. They all work together to create a masterpiece. This is what my vision of Canada is like.

No comments:

Post a Comment