Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Trees of Life.

Elm trees. I've been noticing Elm trees. They are massive, magnificent, and majestic. The Kerr Elm by the German Bakery is my favorite thus far (I suppose it is the favorite of many). Every time I am in that part of the garden, I stand under it in awe. How can this grand creature be so beautiful? Not to mention how many years it has been growing there. Imagine the worlds of life that it has supported during all of its days.

A little while back, Trish had mentioned the Kerr Elm in her Bloom Report (here's a photo if you're interested). She stated that people had noticed the tree reminded them of the tree in the film "Avatar". Well, I just watched that film the other day, and I'm finding myself appreciating and paying attention to nature much more than I was. Within the film, the trees are all networked together, and can send messages to one another. I kept thinking to myself "oh, how I would love to live in that place". I tried to imagine it, when I started to realize that our world has similarities. Maybe our trees don't send messages through their roots, but they pass along leaves, seeds, birds, flowers, and etcetera. Everything is working together within an ecosystem.


Oh wise and weeping
Willow won't you wallow with
A wavering wrath

I find myself paying more attention to trees lately. Each one encompasses its own particular behavior - creating a character of sorts. Trees are symbolic figures for some people and cultures. They are used over and over as metaphors. A tree can be a playground for animals or children. Trees represent life and vitality. They can be menacing characters in films, or they can be gentle, compassionate ones in others. Even in our Historic Gardens we have many characteristic trees; the Weeping Nootka, Kerr Elm, Dragon Claw Willow, and Paperback Maple - just to name a few.


I am gliding past one million trees

With air flowing in the windows

These are homes of one thousand bees

And leaves show which way the wind blows


Last year I was given the opportunity to help the gardeners for a couple of hours. All I did was weed around a pine tree, and it took two hours. At first I thought to myself "is there any point? People probably won't even notice this tree". Then I started noticing it, and the trees around it, and the trees around them. Trees do so much for us, and I think it's important that we appreciate and respect them - even if it is something as simple as noticing them more.




3 comments: